Historical review of Quepos
The territory currently belongs to the canton of Quepos, was inhabited by Indians who had distinctive cultural elements and own called Quepos, who chose to shelter in areas near the coast, and which were an indigenous group that was located on the Pacific coast, between rivers Térraba and Pirrís.
The discoverer of the region was the Spanish conquistador Don Gil Gonzalez Davila, in the year 1522, when he made the first overland journey of our country, from the southeast to the Indian village Avancari (now Abangaritos, canton of Puntarenas) . In 1563 Don Juan Vazquez de Coronado visited the area, the principal chief of the province of the Quepos Corrohore asked for help to rescue his sister Dulcehe the prisoner had coctos Indians. In the allotment of Indians who made gift Perafán de Ribera in 1569, the town of Quepo was awarded the Royal Spanish Crown.
During the colonial period the region was called San Bernardino Quepo as a township, which limit the southeast end became the Chiriqui Viejo River (now in the jurisdiction of the Republic of Panama). In 1711 a report by the Bishop of Nicaragua and Costa Rica, Monsignor Fray Benito Garret and Arloví the King of Spain, said the people of the village was Quepo most important province, was only ten Indians. Finally in 1746 Fray Juan Montoya moved to Boruca the few Indians who had remained in Quepo, so these people disappeared.
The first settlers arrived in the region Costa Rica in the late nineteenth century, so it was very difficult to communicate, the only way to reach it was by sea from Puntarenas City, or on horseback from the now city of San Isidro general.
By 1930 the Banana Company of Costa Rica, began buying land on the Pacific coast, through intermediaries. At first the company built offices, hospitals and workshops in Parrita and then moved to Quepos on 194th.
On July 25, 1939 opened the pier built by the Company, which went officially to the Government of Costa Rica on October 2, 1972.
In Executive Order No. 7 of April 21, 1941, in the administration of Rafael Angel Calderon Guardia, Quepos rose to the rank of district, number ten in the canton of Puntarenas. In the government of the Foundation Board of the Second Republic on October 30, 1948, in Decree Law No. 235, was awarded the title of Villa to the people of Quepos, head of the canton created at that time. Subsequently, on 21 September 1963, the government of President Francisco Orlich Bolmarich was enacted Law No. 3201 which gave the town, city status.
The first public school was established in 1941 in its first stage is called School Doris Stone, then Official School of Quepos, and is now called Republic of Korea School. The Lyceum Quepos began his teaching activities in March 1965 in the administration of Don Francisco Orlich Bolmarich.
In 1943 he built the first church was wooden and was located where it is now a small park. The building of the present church was completed in 1964. In the archdiocese of Monsignor Roman Arrieta Villalobos gift, fifth Archbishop of Costa Rica. In 1979 the parish was erected, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception, now a suffragan of the Diocese of San Isidro de El General, of the ecclesiastical province of Costa Rica.
On 1 November 1948 held the first session of the Council of Aguirre, composed of council owners José Joaquín Martínez Jiménez, president, Porfirio Pérez Castro and Juan Luis Brenes. The political leader was Mr. Walter Guillen Aguilar.
The name of the canton is a tribute to Don Rolando Aguirre Lobo, who was a citizen who was always concerned with finding solutions to national problems in general and particularly to Quepos. He attended elementary schools in the Republic of Argentina and Joaquin Lizano in Heredia, the side at the Salesian School in Cartago. He worked as a printer in the Free Press in Colombia and Panama. He settled in Quepos in 1938, where he worked in the Banana Company of Costa Rica. He participated in the Civil War of 1948. Heredia was born in August 12, 1918 and died in Limon on April 11, 1948.